I don’t know about you, but as my son gets older it gets harder and harder to find gifts for him that aren’t related to his Xbox.
He’s only 10, but all he wants for any holiday is V-bucks. What are V-bucks you ask? The best way I can explain is that it’s a giant scam on Fortnite to get kids to spend money. Ok, it’s not really a scam, but in my opinion, it’s totally stupid.
My kid spends 10 bucks and in return, he gets skins (some different sort of character), vehicle wraps or battle pass stuff. If I’m being vague its because I really have no clue what I’m talking about.
When Colton starts talking Fortnite I completely zone out. What I do know is that this $10 is used purely so that their character is “cooler”.
There is absolutely no competitive advantage to these extras. So it’s basically $10 down the drain…not Colton’s $10, my $10.
After I’ve been asked 458962 times for my Apple ID password so he can buy more it’s usually worth my sanity to give in to prevent being whined at 458963 times.
Anyhow, I digress. My point is that I don’t want my son playing Fortnite 24/7. I want him to enjoy some other activities and to get outside in the sunshine so he can run around like a wild child.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links that I may earn a commission from. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. You can read my full disclosure HERE.
I know I’m not the only mom who struggles with this. Fortnite addiction is no joke. And on top of other serious issues that come along with videogame addictions, it makes gift-giving really hard when you don’t want to give V-bucks or something similar.
So, to take some of the torture out of gift-giving to Fortnite loving boys, I’ve put together this list of alternatives that any 8-10-year-old boy is sure to love.
Most items on this list can be purchased from Amazon Prime with FREE 2-day shipping. If you’ve procrastinated on buying a gift, and don’t already have a Prime account, you can get a FREE TRIAL just for the holidays right here 👇
Gift ideas that will make a gaming obsessed boy happy
- An Activity Tracker We got my son an activity tracker/watch and he loves it. Seeing all his steps helps keep him active because he loves to watch the amount increase. There are several different brands and styles to choose from, so there is something for everyone.
- Would You Rather Game Book. My son loves to play this game but he usually makes up crazy stuff that makes no sense. This book will help you spend less time deciding if you would rather be peanut butter or hot coffee…this is a real question I was asked yesterday. I’m sure you’re dying of curiosity so I won’t leave you hanging – I picked peanut butter.
- This Fancy Piggy Bank. This one is great for kids who have chores. Kids can insert their money like they’re at a bank and keep it protected with their own pin number…this is especially great if they have a sneaky little sister.
- This awesome Lego Kit. I haven’t met a boy yet who hasn’t loved Lego’s or Minecraft at some point. This is a win-win since they’ll be building something they love without staring at a screen.
- Fortnite pajamas and Tshirts. Lots of great options available at Target. If your son loves Fortnite, he’ll be happy with any of these. (My son’s favorite is his “Take the L” shirt).
- Minecraft Creeper Hat or Minecraft Shirt. Clothes aren’t usually a fun gift at this age, but if it involves their favorite video game, they will love it! Minecraft pajamas are a great idea too!
- Cozmo. This one is pricey but if you plan on only buying one expensive gift, this is a great option. My son got this last year for Christmas and he uses it all the time.
- Kids Coding Classes. If your kid loves video games, YouTube, etc., then chances are high that he would be interested in learning how to code his own video games. I mean, have you ever looked up how much these YouTubers are making??? My son’s favorite YouTuber is worth $30 MILLION!!! Google your area and see what’s available.
- Get your kiddo outside with a DRONE. This will provide lots of outdoor fun and exploration. We have this exact one and my son and his dad have so much fun with it together.
- My Comic Book Making Kit. This comic book kit is absolutely awesome! Kids can create their own stories and illustrations. Once it’s completed and mailed back in, your child will receive an actual comic book that they created! And it even includes an “about the author” section! How cool is that? My son loves making his own comics, so this is definitely on his Christmas list this year.
I hope this list has been helpful to you! You can check out my post about the top Fortnite related gifts in case you want to get a few gaming gifts for your little gamer.
P.S. Several of the items in this gift guide are from Target. I typically try to only link to Amazon because THEY HAVE EVERYTHING plus shipping is usually free for everyone. But, a lot of the Fortnite and Minecraft stuff is cheaper at Target.
If you don’t have a Target near you, or if you don’t want to pay their shipping fee, you can easily get FREE SHIPPING. Even if you only spend $2! All you need is the Target Red Card. They have a credit card BUT they also have a debit card that links directly to your bank account.
So, with the debit card, you get all the benefits of the credit card without having to take out any credit. Any time you use it, the money will come directly out of your bank account. This is what I do because I don’t like opening up tons of different credit accounts.
The benefits of the card include a 5% discount on all your purchases plus you get free shipping on all orders with no minimum purchase amount. It’s usually 2-day shipping, but occasionally it does take longer. You can check it out in the link below 👇 If you have questions leave me a comment and I’ll get back to you.