Pregnancy brings out that inner glow, but add summer to the mix, and we are easily looking at a sweaty, potentially miserable time. However, it doesn’t have to be that way! You can survive a summer pregnancy without breaking the bank! Really!
Tips for a Summer Pregnancy
The primary goal with a summer pregnancy, is the same as every pregnancy: take care of yourself! Because taking care of mom is taking care of the baby growing inside!
Even in the hottest climates, summer pregnancy won’t last longer than 20 weeks of your pregnancy, so find a weekly inexpensive splurge that keeps you feeling good!
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links that I may earn a commission from. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. You can read my full disclosure HERE.
Ideas of inexpensive pampering include:
- Friday foot soaks, followed by your partner or loved one giving you a foot massage. This is especially important if you’re prone to foot aches and back aches. Avoid using essential oils that are too stimulating and check that ingredients aren’t contraindicated for pregnancy.
- Personal fans. These are perfect for when you’re away from AC and are under $20. If you aren’t one to spend on yourself, just buy one that attaches to a stroller and consider it a pre-purchase for baby that you’re just testing out!
- Time with friends is important. If you’re in a very hot climate, grab that fan and make it an evening out! Find local live, outdoor music. Enjoy the time with the girls and make it a weekly event that is close to free. This is something to look forward to doing that is about you. Schedule this on a day other than foot massage day so that you have another time that is all about you.
- Wear what is comfortable and what grows with you. Maternity bras that turn into nursing bras save money. Sundresses are great and you can wear them with leggings as well. Add a cardigan and you have a cute outfit for your girl’s night.
- Consider a mister. Not a man, but a system to help you stay cool while outside. Small ones are under $20 and systems for a deck or patio are still affordable and an easy way to enjoy time outside without getting too hot. Grab some lemonade and relax!
Prepare for baby slowly
- When you’re not pampering yourself, you are, of course growing your baby! Since babies come on their own time, it is important to be prepared for baby.
- Follow a weekly chart that shows your appointments and make a plan on what to do between appointments. You do not need to do everything at once! Being superwoman is nice I’m sure, but I know I’m not her, and it is okay if you aren’t either!
- Find free prenatal groups, online if needed or in person if available and you’re comfortable. If you have birth fear, find a birthing circle or a group that discusses birth positively! Many people give their bad stories, but those with fear don’t need to hear them. So, instead, if someone starts telling you a horror story, just say, “Oh I’ve heard those thanks but I am focusing on my doctor/midwifery advice.
Go on a baby moon, on the cheap. A baby moon is a time to get away before baby arrives, and is also a time to work with your partner on your relationship. It doesn’t have to be a getaway, but it can be time away from your normal day-to-day. If you are at home, care for each other and do something new every day during this baby moon.
Walk a new path that overlooks your city, explore your local history or art museum, and go to coffee shops or restaurants that you’ve never visited. This exploration is bonding time and a way to reconnect before your life changes!
Overspending is too easy!
While I linked to my prior article on preparing for baby, it is also important to know what not to spend your money on and what is okay to get from a friend! Not everyone is comfortable with a baby registry, but having one will give people direction and help guide what you need (and prevent getting 4 wipe warmers).
- Utilize a registry, even if no one buys from it. It keeps everything in perspective and gives you a list. Consider using the Amazon Gift Registry. The perks of this registry is a complimentary gift box, a 365-day return window (wow!), and a completion discount of 10% or if you’re a Prime member, you get 15% off.
- Don’t buy ice cream every day. Okay, it had to be said, but summer pregnancies can get hot! If that is your weekly splurge as you walk to the neighborhood ice cream parlor, fine, but also consider making your own ice cream to survive a summer pregnancy. This is useful especially if you have odd cravings!
- Babies grow fast. You do not need a new outfit for every day, so keep some of the cute clothing on the racks. Focus on special occasions and don’t be afraid to buy used. Check Facebook marketplace. You will see new and like-new items for cheap! That’s a sign that you probably don’t need as much as your heart yearns for!
Budgeting for Baby
While you use pregnancy as a time to prepare for motherhood, or for adding to your brood, it is important to budget for you, and to know what your needs, wants, nice to haves and unnecessary items are and budget accordingly.
By utilizing a registry you will always know what’s been purchased. You can purchase from your own registry as well, that way your friends and family will see the item as purchased and not buy one for you as well!
If this is not your first child and you are not interested in having a baby shower, still consider creating a registry for the perks! Before you go spending on baby items, create a registry and then purchase from it. That way you can utilize the perks like the gift box and the discount! Baby stuff adds up! Take any discount you can get!
Keeping in budget helps your child start out on a solid financial journey too! See more about teaching your kids the value of money here.
Survive Your Summer Pregnancy
In the end, it is important that you feel comfortable, are heard, and gaining confidence in using your instincts as well. The pregnancy will seem long over the summer, but with self-care and perspective, you are well on your way to a happy, healthy pregnancy.
Wishing you all the best!